Monday, August 31, 2009

No Leopards Were Harmed While I Shopped

They've eluded me for years. I spent long days and nights dreaming of them and seemingly chasing them around the globe like Captain Ahab pursues the whale in Moby Dick. But unlike Ahab, I finally have them in my possession.

A pair of leopard-print shoes!

Yes, I am aware that leopard prints have been out for quite some time, but you see, it's a great feat to dress my feet. They are as wide as the state of Montana, and the countless times I saw a pair of leopard-print shoes, I'd step inside the store, only to be disappointed that I wasn't able to step inside the shoes. Eventually, I stopped trying and just stood drooling at the beautiful leopard prints at stores' windows.

(BTW, I've acquired a lot of envy points for Cinderella,who got to fit into her shoe right away and got a handsome prince to boot!! And she could probably fit into any boot she wants.)

During the time I was unable to realize my fashionista potential, I kept myself busy with projects, but a pang would hit me when watching some fashion newbie sporting leopard-print shoes on What Not to Wear.

So imagine my shock when I was passing an Aerosoles store today, and there were a pair of leopard-print flats in the window. At first I thought they were taunting me, and I told myself not to go in for yet another disappointing venture. I told myself that it was OK to drool instead.

But I forced myself to walk in and inquire about the shoes. And my heart skipped a beat when the saleswoman brought me a pair that fit and were comfortable!!

Ah the ecstasy.

So I purchased them. No more drooling at store windows.

As a bonus, no leopards were harmed in order to dress my feet. I'm a diehard animal lover who never wears real fur. It was the print, not the animal, I was after.

A few things to know about leopard prints:

1) They are cool.
2) They are a neutral and go with everything, from dresses to jeans.
3) They can be used to dress up or dress down an outfit.

I do love shoes, and if I had my druthers, I'd have a lot more. However, I do stay within my budget and am not materialistic. I can justify my recent purchase because I have a dress code at work, where looking professional is highly valued.

Do you have a story on shoes to share? It can be a favorite pair that you describe in loving detail or a pair you hated. It could even be a pair you fondly or embarrasingly recall (remember Earth shoes and those disco heels from the 70s? I wore both, thought I was cool, but of course I was not).

Anyway, feel free to share your shoe story by leaving a comment.

Beth L. Gainer is a professional writer and has published numerous academic and magazine articles, as well as an essay on her breast cancer experience in the anthology Voices of Breast Cancer by LaChance Publishing. She writes about medical advocacy at www.bethlgainer.blogspot.com, and her cat Hemi blogs at www.catterchatter.blogspot.com. Beth teaches writing and literature at Robert Morris University in the Chicago area. She can be contacted at bethlgainer@gmail.com and gainercallingtheshots@gmail.com. She also blogs on the adventures of her cats, Hemi and Cosette, at http://www.catterchatter.blogspot.com./.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment