Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Goal-Driven Running Diva

One of my favorite blogs to read is Raptitude.com. It is well-written and insightful. Particularly, reading the following blog helped inspire me to see my goals through fruition. Reading this posting will help anyone who is serious about accomplishing tangible goals: http://http://www.raptitude.com/2009/09/how-to-make-a-life-list-youll-actually-do-a-comprehensive-guide/

In my last blog, I waxed and waned about how I could no longer run and had to take note for what I'm grateful for. While I'm still grateful for all I have and have accomplished, I think I gave up on running too soon.

I had a setback and got discouraged.

So, after reading the aforementioned blog, I decided to start running again and not let my surgical wounds wound my psyche. And the reason I'm sharing this with you now, is that one motivating factor is public accountability. When you are publicly accountable and tell people your goals, you are more likely to set out to accomplish them.

But goals need to be realistic. While I'd love to win a 5K, my super slow-twitch muscles will never make that a reality. However, a realistic goal is to run a 5K -- at a pace that's comfortable to me -- within the year.

So here's my goal this week: One day this week, I will do a short run and last it out. My strategy: Spanx, Extra Strength Tylenol, great music on my iPod, and putting on my running shoes, and become a running diva in a small neighborhood. I will also take a spa bath to relieve the aches and pains that I expect after the run.

I will let you all know how it goes. Even if I don't succeed, at least I will have tried.

In the meantime, feel free to leave comments below on your goals or just to cheer me on. Now that my goal is public, I am bound to make it come true.

Beth L. Gainer is a professional writer and has published numerous academic and magazine articles, as well as an essay on her breast cancer experience in the anthology Voices of Breast Cancer by LaChance Publishing. She writes about medical advocacy at www.bethlgainer.blogspot.com, and her cat Hemi blogs at www.catterchatter.blogspot.com. Beth teaches writing and literature at Robert Morris University in the Chicago area. She can be contacted at
bethlgainer@gmail.com and gainercallingtheshots@gmail.com. She also blogs on the adventures of her cats, Hemi and Cosette, at http://www.catterchatter.blogspot.com./.


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Beth: I believe you can do ANYTHING your mind decides upon! Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Gerry!! You really are an inspiration to me, as well.

    ReplyDelete